Blythedale is a speciality children’s hospital providing combination of medical care and rehabilitation for children with medical complexity, located in White Plains, NY.
When Blythedale approached OHO Interactive, they were looking for a new site design that would present their content in a more engaging way for their users, and make it easier for families to find the information they needed. Their main goals were:
- Better address the informational and emotional needs of Blythedale’s key audiences to increase engagement
- Improve overall navigation, architecture, and make the content easy to use from any device.
- Effectively highlight/promote Blythedale differences and values from competing hospitals in the region
- Better-support internal content administrators through effective use of a dynamic CMS
To fully understand the needs of patients and their families, OHO reached out to parents whose chidlren received treatment at the hospital. Based on the findings of that initial survey, OHO focused on improving the following key areas:
- A need for more patient/family stories
- The hospital's diverse range of services could be communicated better: from school programs, to therapies, to experience with special needs children
- The hospital's unique differentiators need to be more visible
- Many parents struggled to find doctors bios and specific contact info. This process needed to be improved.
To address these hurdles, OHO took the following approach:
Focus on Parents and Families
- Place stories at the front and center. Stories about patients permeate the site, illustrating to families what to expect when their own children receive treatment.
- “Visual” storytelling is the key. Videos and photography are front and center in the new design.
- Shift the experience to parents-centric. The new site prioritizes navigation and content. It provides clear, easy access to key information and tasks parents are seeking (i.e. Treatment Areas vs Services/Departments).
Turn Barriers to Advantages
- Complex, comprehensive set of services and programs: OHO improved the presentation the breadth and depth of Blythedale's services in a clear, organized way.
- Location: The new site highlights the relaxing, rural environment (place of healing), which helps put patients and their families at ease.
Prior to the redesign by OHO Interactive, the Blythedale team lacked the tools necessary to accurately convey the patient journey to patients and their families.
With a greater emphasis on imagery and patient stories, for the first time, families can fully understand the experience their children will have at the hospital. Video content is also front and center on the site for the first time, which adds to the immersive experience.