The Vineyard Gazette sought to redefine its digital strategy and optimize for visitors from mobile devices while repositioning their website as a robust product and gateway to its portfolio of subscription products.
- Create a mobile-friendly website that better serves readers across a variety of devices.
- Build an open and flexible Content Management System (CMS) to replace existing inflexible and difficult to update solution.
- Optimize a large archive of more than a decade of editorial content in various formats for search engines.
- Solve technical challenges including multiple integration points with legacy systems.
The Vineyard Gazette’s new responsive website addresses their need for a mobile-friendly digital presence while also offering a back-end platform that allows the newspaper to solve a number of issues unique to their industry.
- Responsive Design – Create a visual design reflective of the island’s personality that includes optimizations for smartphones and tables as well as advanced touch navigation, mobile-friendly multimedia slideshows, web fonts, and support for IAB standard ad unit sizes across form factors.
- Content Management System – Migrate an expansive news content archive to a new Drupal CMS that features flexible taxonomy and content tagging for dynamic display of achieved content, editorial workflow tracking, video and photo upload tools that automatically generate multimedia galleries, and site-wide search that orders results by keyword relevance and recency.
- Systems Integration – Build a CMS that integrates with the newspaper’s circulation system to correlate subscriber accounts across web and print products, integrate the classified ad system to flow ads from print to web, and connect their email newsletter workflow so web content can be easily exported into Constant Contact email templates.
- Bi-Directional Publishing – Shift from a print-to-web workflow by introducing a CMS feature that allows the editorial team to export web content to an Adobe-based print workflow and vice versa enabling staff to “reverse publish” content in a web-to-print workflow.
- Site Monetization & Subscription Controls – Develop a flexible paywall that allows for customizable configurations based on criteria such as date range, keywords, and metering. Additionally, integrate with Google DoubleClick for ad management and provide e-commerce integration with the newspaper’s payment gateway to facilitate secure online purchases.
NENPA Top Newspaper Website Awards
increase in website traffic
increase in website traffic over 3 years
The site has been everything we’d hoped, and our steadily increasing traffic (almost tripled in three years) is further evidence that we all got it right.
The Vineyard Gazette’s re-launched website successfully reflects the feel of the island with unique creative details as noted by an awards committee who commented that the site manages “to bring the charm of their locale and publication onto the web. Definitely feels like the read for the Vineyard." The site received honors from the New England Newspaper and Press Association (NENPA) as Top Newspaper Website two years running, in addition to a Digital Strategy Excellence award. It was also awarded an Honorable Mention in the national Editor and Publisher® Eppy Awards competition.